I don't get it

Some things make no sense to me.

There are more than 45 million Americans with no health insurance. Yet not one private insurance company sees this as a business opportunity. That's one large "pool," and many of these people have enough income that they would and could pay a reasonable premium, even if only for hospital care.

In my experience, only companies offering "minor medical" insurance at premiums that are border-line "reasonable" are taking advantage of the situation. Some in a good way, others in a bad way. I recently signed on with one of these programs and then received my "health discount documents" only to find out I'd been lied to about network providers. I can cancel only by phone, which I've tried to do--but no one is "available" when I call to cancel.

I'm one of the 45 million Americans unable to procure major medical insurance. Yes, I've seen doctors in the past 10 years for a variety of reasons. But I haven't been hospitalized in that time and never missed a day's work. Nor have I had a disease that could be considered even remotely life threatening. Why am I such a risk?

The government is left to solve this problem for us 45+ million--while insurance companies and other related business interests complain mightily. There are millions of us willing to pay a reasonable premium for health insurance. Why does the business universe not take advantage of this?

Another thing I don't get. Why would you want to be the president of a country when millions of people make it clear they don't want you, didn't vote for you, and are willing to risk their lives to protest your election by corrupt means? As I watch the events in Iran unfold, as my heart goes out to a valiant, intelligent, and beautiful people, I am amazed--not for the first time--how the drive to have power erases the human capacity for sheer embarrassment. Perhaps my Southern ancestors taught me too well that embarrassment is a state I want mightily to avoid. As a result, I don't understand why Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is simply not too embarrassed to continue in his post without a recount or other verification. I also don't understand why Iran's supreme leader does not understand that a happy, expressive people whose basic phone service and whose votes are not tampered with are the best kind to guide and to "rule."

I just don't get it.


Image by Mil Lubroth, all rights reserved.

Comments