Skip to main content

The Time of Our Lives

Tomorrow, the weatherman tells us, will be another perfect spring day just like today. The Bradford pear trees are in bloom, the breeze is gentle, the redbuds are sprouting, the sky is a gentle blue. But tomorrow, our perfect spring day will be cut short by one hour.

The US Congress has moved the start of Daylight Savings Time up by three weeks. Tonight we set our clocks ahead by one hour, acting as though we mechanically minded humans could control real time. Why? Who knows? There was no public information given even to let us know this was being considered.

I can still remember the first Daylight Savings Time weekend. My fellow Sunday School students and I stood in the foyer of the First Methodist Church in a small Texas town, talking about this remarkable event. Lawmakers were changing the time. It was to save energy, we were told. Our parents shook their heads, but did not question it. We grew used to DST, those extra long summer days, those dark spring mornings that should have been lighter and brighter, but I, for one, never grew to like DST or those first few days of disorientation after the "switchings" took place. ("Spring forward," they told us, when we gave up an hour in the spring, and "Fall backward," when we retrieved our hour in the fall.) Then, as now, there was no vote by the people on this decision, nor on the dates chosen to start and end DST.

In the many years since those Sunday School days, I have come to feel deeply the meaning of the proverb, "The way you spend your minutes is the way you spend your life." How we spend our time is not about clocks or efficiency, oil or electricity. It's about life, and what we choose to do with the time we have to live our lives.

Tonight, yet again, I find my life cut short by 60 minutes, without anyone even consulting me. What does freedom mean, if one has no say over one's time? This is no less important than free speech, or privacy, or civil rights. Don't worry, people say, we get the hour back in October.

Do we? Are any two hours of our lives the same? How can one hour at the end of October be the same as an hour in early March? Any red-breasted Robin would tell you it can't be. Our hours should be ours, owned by our flesh and bone, governed by the sun, the moon, the stars--not a Congress playing games with clocks.

Text and Image, copyright Ysabel de la Rosa, 2007.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life without Television, Part 2

I began life without television with relief, which was consistent Monday through Friday. The first few weekends, though, felt awkward, anxious, lonely. When PBS has good programming on Saturday nights, it is extraordinarily good. Father Brown, Phryne Fisher, New Tricks... Extraordinary acting, high production values, and I fantasize about the pudgy, brilliant priest just perhaps having an innocent crush on one of his special parishioners, which would be moi. 

I called a friend one Sunday. "Maybe television helped with my anxiety more than I realized," I said. She told me about her aunt who, after her husband's death, kept the television on in his "man cave" 24/7. He has been gone years now. The television goes on, everlasting, in his absence. I don't blame her. Much of my frequent and prolonged television viewing began with grief.

After my sister died, I would watch almost anything, especially late at night when sleep eluded me. I even watched Convoy with …

Whose day?

Years ago, I made some collages using pages from a desk calendar from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The image that leads this post is one. Inside the hearts and flowers is a picture from the MMA collection of  a Japanese screen made in the 16th century. It is titled Tagasode, which means Whose sleeves?  The title comes from a 10th-century poem:


The fragrance seems even more alluring than the hue, Whose sleeves have brushed past? Or would it be this plum tree blossoming here at home?
Iro yori mo ka koso awaredo omohoyure tagasode fureshi ado no ume zo mo
The word haunts: tagasode. Whose sleeves? The question floats in my mind like a cloud on a still day. The sleeves materialize in my mind's eye. I hear them move through hushed air. I can imagine, though not name, the scent of the person to whom those sleeves belong. It's not unlike smelling the scent of your infant's clothes, or holding the perfume bottle that belonged to your mother...you don't need to open it... you know tha…

Glad to Hear It

This past week, Larry Wilmore and company mentioned Rachel Dolezol again on The Nightly Show. I don't remember who made the comment, but either Wilmore or one of the panelists said, "Did Rachel Dolezol do anything bad? No, she really didn't. Why did we get so uptight about that?" I was glad to hear it. Three cheers for being human.

I looked briefly at what's on Google currently about her and the now much-discussed Shaun White. I intend not to enter any of that fray mentally or verbally. I still maintain that humanity trumps color. We have a long way to go until we can leave our "paint by numbers" mentality behind, but we've made progress. Good changes can come, even in the midst of chaos and controversy. Maybe White and Dolezal will help us see that eventually.

As long as I'm here and continuing on the subject of color, I think I'm not alone in the fact that I don't like being called "white." As for my background, it includes …