Poetry Published 2006

Published in Calyx, January 2006
Calyx, A Journal of Art and Literature by Women has published continuously for 30 years, no small feat. I encourage you to visit their web site, sample the excerpts, and subscribe to this publication.

CICADIAN RHYTHM
by Ysabel de la Rosa

That summer sound coming from
one instrumental insect stops me
and all my doing.

I stand by the cabinets, glass in hand, not moving
now, but feeling summer coming in
upon me, recalling how it feels:
to slow my way into a measured walk inside
the oven of an afternoon;
to slip my way shivering into cold bright
aqua waters and rise through the surface,
my self a kind of fountain;
to sip my way to the last of a tall and dewy
glass of ice-studded mint tea, rocking on
a porch, stroked gently by a twilight breeze.

One moment’s frictional song is enough:
just the signal I need to tell me it's
time to end
spring’s high green grace note
and begin
summer’s lower, quieter coda

Copyright, 2006, Ysabel de la Rosa
All rights reserved.

Comments